In response to an increase in COVID-19 cases in the state, we are taking precautions to protect our healthcare workers, staff, providers, and patients. A Partial Lockdown and HERT team activation was initiated on 3-12-2020 at 0630. We have implemented the following:
– Reduced entry and exit points in the facility. (No one under the age of 18 is allowed into the building unless they are here for treatment. Visitation 10am-7pm.)
– Screening of all staff, visitors, and patients entering the building
– Volunteer services have been suspended indefinitely
– Non-essential vendors will not be allowed entry. Essential vendors are those bringing necessary hospital supplies and/or supplies for procedures.
– Trained staff to identify and handle any potential COVID-19 patients
– Dedicated Rooms for Management of Coronavirus Patients
– Environmental services to increase cleaning frequency for high touch spots in hallways, elevators, door knobs.
– All meetings as a large group for the next four weeks are cancelled.
– Practice social distancing at work to extent possible. You should take every step in maintaining a 6ft distance between all individuals and refrain from all personal contact. Encourage this. Remind others. Use email to communicate to extent possible. Have employees educate their families about social distancing.
– Abbey Café (Cafeteria) is now closed to the public. Employees encouraged to eat at their desk or in department lounge.
– Managers should interview for needed positions by phone, email or texting. Interviewees should not enter the hospital buildings.
– Sleep Center Program Suspended until further notice
– Detox Program Suspended until further notice
– Specialty Clinic Suspended until further notice
– Partial Program Suspended until further notice
– Outpatient Diabetic Education Suspended until further notice
– BMC Visitation Suspended until further notice
– Suspension of Hospital Construction Projects
Please see the updated information below and Guidelines for reducing the risk of infection.
All staff, visitors, and patients, including vendors and contractors, will be screened at designated entry points, including the Emergency Room. All visitors will be screened by a team member prior to entry and based on CDC guidance. No visitor will be permitted into our facilities if they meet any of the following criteria:
1. Are under the age of 18
2. Shows signs of symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath or sore throat (Take Temps if anyone has been exposed or is symptomatic)
3.In the last 14 days has had contact with someone with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID 19, or under investigation
for COVID 19 or are ill with respiratory illness (if YES, mask and NOTIFY AO immediately) **Any Employee exposed to a person with known COVID 1 9 MUST notify the AO immediately!
118 North Hospital Drive ● Abbeville, LA 70510 ● 337-893-5466 ●www.abbevillegeneral.com
4. New screening question: Have you traveled out of the country, state, or visited Orleans Parish or Jefferson Parish in the past 14 days? If the answer is yes, the visitor will not be allowed to enter the facility.
5. Non-essential vendors will not be allowed entry. Essential vendors are those bringing necessary Hospital Supplies or supplies for procedures.
EMTALA STILL APPLIES regarding medical screening performed by ER personnel. Ask and Mask step applies.
Visitation of patients will be limited to one visitor per patient per day. Visitor must be 18 years or older. These visitors may be required to wear PPE.
Visitation will be from 10am – 7pm. Visitation will be strictly enforced.
All visitors and patients, including vendors and contractors, will be screened at designated entry points, including the Emergency Room. Visitors will be required to wash their hands, sign in, and must be banded before being allowed to continue to their destination.
Work related visitation is to be curtailed and resort to video conferencing. All unnecessary traffic by salesman and vendors within the building is to cease.
The number of entry points to the hospital will be restricted. Emergency Room entrance is the designated entry point for visitors. This entry point will be manned 24/7. Minimal staffing will be a security officer and HERT Team Member.
All staff must wear identification badges. Visitors must be banded.
Incident Command and HERT Team activation effective 12 March 2020 0630.
As our COVID-19 event evolves, social distancing has become a prevalent strategy in reducing exposure to this infection. You should take every step in maintaining a 6ft distance between all individuals and refrain from all personal contact to the extent possible. You should also educate your family on this process and encourage strict adherence. In addition, continue to wash your hands consistently as this is another large deterrent to the spread of this virus. We have been in frequent communication with the governor’s office, Louisiana Department of Health, local government and other local hospitals to prepare and stay up-to-date on all current standards and guidelines. We have been planning for this and are prepared to maintain the safety of our staff, healthcare team, and patients. We appreciate your cooperation during this time.
Ray A. Landry, FACHE
Chief Executive Officer
Abbeville General Hospital