The Volunteers at Abbeville General Hospital are truly a special group of dedicated, compassionate and caring individuals who volunteer their time to assist our patients, visitors and staff. They help the hospital achieve its mission to provide high quality, cost effective health care services and to promote these services in the community.
The Volunteers perform various functions throughout the hospital and operate the gift shop which opened in March of 1988 for business. Proceeds from the gift shop operation and other fundraising events coordinated by the Volunteers are dedicated to equipment purchases and scholarship funds for students interested in the medical field.
Abbeville General Hospital’s Volunteer Services Department works with each new volunteer to match his or her interests and talents with available opportunity including:
- Hospital Greeter: Greeters welcome families and visitors as they enter the hospital. They provide information and help visitors find their way around the hospital Information
- Desk Hostess: Visitors receive patient locations and hospital directions from the volunteer information desk hostess.
- Patient Mail & Flower Delivery: Patient’s hospital stay are brightened by delivery of flowers and mail to their rooms.
- Coffee/Newspaper Delivery: Volunteers visit patient rooms and waiting areas to offer coffee and reading materials and a friendly smile.
- Clerical Duty Assistant: Volunteers provide assistance to departments with clerical duties.
Abbeville General values the time and contributions donated by its volunteers. Each volunteer is asked to devote a minimum of 240 hours per year. In gratitude, Abbeville General offers a variety of volunteer benefits, such as free flu shots, free meals and discounted prescription services.
If you would like to volunteer your time as a member of the Abbeville General Hospital Volunteer Services or find out more information, please call Gloria Pierce at (337) 898-6494.
Who Can Volunteer?
Anyone can volunteer. Abbeville General Hospital Volunteers are professionals, students, homemakers and retirees who want to make a contribution in someone’s life, as well as their community.
Meeting new friends, learning new skills, and exploring new interests are a few of the rewards of volunteering. Volunteers help Abbeville General’s staff deliver the highest quality patient care possible-volunteers do make a difference.
Tree of Life/ Scholarship Program
The Volunteers unveiled the Tree of Life, which is located in the main lobby of the hospital, on February 29, 1996 . The leaves on the tree represent donations in memory of a deceased loved one or to honor the living.
Donations from the Tree of Life are dedicated to a Scholarship Program for college students enrolled in a health care related curriculum.
Who May Apply
- Any college student who has attained at least Junior Year status and has:
- Lived in Vermilion Parish for a period of two (2) consecutive years,
- Enrolled in a health care related field at an accredited College or University in the State of Louisiana.
- Completed enough hours to be a Junior or Senior, and
- Maintained a 3.0 GPA or higher.
You may download the application or call 337-898-6472 to obtain additional information regarding the Scholarship Program sponsored by the Abbeville General Hospital Volunteer Organization.